Main Line Senior Care Alliance is dedicated to being a leader in providing healthcare services to older adults through our two communities, Saunders House, located in Wynnewood, PA, and Bryn Mawr Terrace, located in Bryn Mawr, PA. We continually strive to enhance the lives of our residents through outstanding service and compassionate care provided within a safe, nurturing environment.
Saunders House provides rehabilitative services - both short-term and long-term care with an emphasis on the physical and emotional well-being of its residents. The highly trained and professional staff members at Saunders House continually strives to enhance the lives of its residents through outstanding service and compassionate care provided within a safe, nurturing environment.
The Unit Manager will provide administrative and clinical supervision of their assigned unit in a manner consistent with the written philosophy and objectives of Saunders House nursing department policies and procedures, Federal, State and local requirements. He/she/they will serve as a communication link with other departments to ensure the coordinated efficient operation of services. The Unit Manager utilizes the nursing process as the basis for nursing practice and integrates this into the interdisciplinary treatment team plan of care. He/she/they will have 24-hour accountability for the nursing care activities on their unit and is responsible for promoting and enhancing professional nursing on all floors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Education and/or Experience
- Conduct regular staff and supervision meetings to promote a constant flow of information, open discussions, knowledge sharing, and to keep staff well-informed. Oversee and ensure that communication with staff through shift, unit, and various levels of personnel occur regularly.
- Assess staffing needs and participates in recruitment and selection of staff.
- Monitor private duty nurses and Certified Nursing Assistants.
- Provide outstanding guest relations in all interaction with visitors, residents, family members, physicians, volunteers, vendors and/or other referral sources.
- Utilize on-going, non-judgmental, non-discriminatory, professional and therapeutic approach to treatment with all residents.
- Continually assess the performance and skill base of staff members and recommend any staff training.
- Maintain written performance evaluations on unit nursing personnel.
- Ensure compliance to policies and procedures. Participate in a continuous improvement process of additions and revisions to procedures.
- Maintain on-going line of communication with Director of Nursing related to staff, resident and family issues.
- Coordinate performance improvement activities for nursing department in collaboration with the Director of Nursing.
- Collect, maintain, and develop reports regarding medication errors, implementing corrective action as necessary. Prepare monthly reports for committee and Director of Nursing.
- Participate in the development of nursing care, new programs and innovations to enhance the quality of service provided to residents.
- Assist in revision of nursing procedure manual and in the establishment of supervisory/nursing administration manual.
- Make daily rounds on the unit to visit residents.
- Performs comprehensive environmental rounds weekly and develop an action plan for noted deficiencies.
- Communicate with building service management on PRN basis to provide safe, clean and secure environment for residents and staff.
- Participate as a member of various facility committees as appropriate.
- Participate in the timely completion of Medical Assistance Forms, ensuring appropriate physicians are notified of paperwork needing completion.
- Assure all nurses’ notes are reflective of residents’ Plan of Care to maintain compliance with State and Federal guidelines.
- Maintain professional licensure and certification with appropriate State, Federal and private organizations associated with clinical responsibilities.
- Attend seminars to maintain own professional competency regarding newly developing nursing care management theories and practices.
- Participate in annual mandatory in-services and certification.
- Participate in the development of departmental budget. Monitor monthly expenses in order to ensure expenses are in line with budget.
- Participates in on-call rotation.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as defined by departmental and organizational needs.
Skills and Abilities
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program with on-going continuing education
- At least two (2) years’ experience in nursing required
- Nurse supervisory and unit management experience preferred
- Licensure and registration by the Pennsylvania Board of Nurse Examiners as a Registered Nurse
- Ability to ensure tasks are appropriately delegated and completed to standards by monitoring performance and holding staff accountable.
- Ability to manage projects and lead initiatives. Ensure effectiveness and efficiency in the delivery of services.
- Ability to organizes resources, personnel, and actions for successful completion of programs and tasks.
- Ability to effectively communicate with healthcare team members in dealing with issues concerning staff performance, resident care and family concerns.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in work schedules and work assignments as defined by departmental and organizational needs.
- Ability to provide direction and motivation and set an example through open communication and modeling best practices. Provides appropriate advice, on-going feedback, support and resources to improve effectiveness of individuals and departments.
- Ability to create a positive team environment in which employees participate, respect and cooperate with each other to achieve unit objectives and goals.
- Ability to think and act independently, formulate and support new ideas, champion new initiatives within and beyond the scope of own responsibilities.
- Excellent organization skills, written and verbal communication skills, and interpersonal skills required.
- Proficiency with computers and software programs including Microsoft Office suite required.